Use Mixpanel cohorts for targetting VWO experiments
In a recent product-update, we discussed how integration with other tools is a key element of VWO product roadmap in 2021. To carry forward the theme, we are announcing a new integration with Mixpanel (a popular product analytics tool) – the ability to use Mixpanel cohorts for targeting visitors using VWO testing and VWO Deploy.
A cohort can be defined as a group of users who share a set of properties or have performed a particular group of events, examples of cohorts can be:
- Power users – Users that made 3 or more purchases in the last 7 days
- Recent upgrades – Users that upgraded their plan in the last 30 days
- Inactive users – Users that haven’t used your app in the last 14 days
PLEASE NOTE: Our current VWO integration with Mixpanel which involves sending of VWO experiment data to augment Mixpanel stays as is.
The ability to target an experiment based on user behaviour is a powerful lever in the hands of a marketeer, it opens up a whole set of new use-cases that were (almost) impossible earlier using the conventional targeting methods that focus on demographics – Device, browser, location etc. Examples are:
- Experiment to make visitors who are yet to make their first-purchase (cohort – Yet to make a purchase) convert by showing a Free shipping banner vs $5 discount banner.
- Experiment to ask frequent buyers (cohort – Bought more than 3 times in the last 60 days) to enroll in the loyalty program by providing different copy on the CTA button.
How does this integration works:
- Create user cohorts in Mixpanel.
- Enable VWO integration inside Mixpanel and sync these cohorts to VWO. Please note cohorts get automatically updated every few hours keeping the targeting relevant at all times.
- Each Mixpanel cohort appears as a VWO Attributes list.
- One or more Attributes list can be used for targeting VWO experiments
Please use the following article to get detailed integration instructions here
Please note – The new Mixpanel integration is part of Integrations section which is undergoing a phased roll-out and will be available soon in your VWO account.