A heatmap is a visual representation of how users browse through your website. Heatmaps use color-coding to indicate the level of activities such as clicks, scrolls, and element clicks on a webpage.
To access the Heatmaps dashboard, click Heatmaps under Analyze on the navigation bar. To view all your previous heatmaps, click the Classic tab on the screen.
Enable the Heatmaps Option
If you are using the Heatmaps option for the first time, select Enable Data Collection to start collecting data for your website. When you enable the option, VWO will automatically start collecting data on all the pages that have VWO Smart Code.
Based on the VWO plan you have subscribed, the dashboard will show the total number of visitors, clicks, sampling rate, and data retention for your data.
Click the settings gear icon to configure the URLs where you want to plot heatmap data. By default the heatmap will run on all pages where VWO code is present. However, if you don’t want to collect data from certain pages (for example Contact Us page, which may not be very important for the test), you can use the Exclude URLs option.
- Click the Pause Data Collection to stop the heatmap.
- Click Flush All Data option if you want to clear all existing data from the heatmap. VWO will stop collecting data for the views you have created on the URLs.
- Click the email icon to share the report.
Generate Heatmap for a URL
To generate heatmaps for a webpage, specify the page URLs and define target visitor groups, if any.
Target Heatmaps for Specific Visitor Group
To generate heatmaps based on the data collected from a specific visitor segment, select one or more segments option. You can create visitor segments based on different conditions such as geographical location, user device, and other user behaviors. To learn more, click here.
- To use a default VWO segment, select the visitor segment you want to target, using the Segment Gallery option.
- To create your own custom segment and define conditions for that segment, click Custom. To know more about creating custom segments, click here.
Filter Heatmaps Data
To filter reports within a specific date range, click the Select a date range check box.
- Last month: View reports till the last date of the previous month, during which the heatmaps were active and running
- Last 7 days: View reports of last 7 days from today
- Last 30 days: View reports of last 30 days from today
- Last week: View reports till the last day of the previous week. By default, the weekly report cycle is Sunday to Saturday
- Today: View today’s reports
- Yesterday: View yesterday’s reports
- Click View Heatmap.
You can create customized views to track activities of a specific visitor segment and save the view for later viewing. To create a new view, click Create View on the Heatmaps dashboard. To learn more on Views and how to create them, click here.