Integrating Visual Website Optimizer (VWO) with Google Analytics (GA) allows you to view VWO’s data in GA for each variation and also filter data based on the metrics defined in GA.
The end-to-end process of integrating Google Universal Analytics (UA) with VWO involves the following steps:
Creating Custom Dimension for VWO Tests
To configure the integration, you must first create a UA custom dimension.
- Sign in to your GA dashboard.
- Click Admin from the menu bar and then select the appropriate account and a property.
- Under Property, click Custom Definitions and then click Custom Dimensions.
- In the page that appears, click New Custom Dimension.
- In the window that appears, enter the following details:
- Name: Enter a unique name for the dimension. Please note that you must create a separate dimension for each running test you want to integrate with UA. The dimension you create is used to identify and push VWO data into the corresponding dimension in UA. For example, VWO Test Id 1.
- Scope: Select the User option from the list. Scope determines which hits will be associated with the custom dimension value. Click here to know more about scope.
- Active: Enable this box to start collecting data and see the dimension in your reports right away.
- Click Create. You have now created custom dimensions in UA.
Enabling UA Integration in VWO
While enabling the integration option, VWO will prompt you for the custom dimension number. Here, you must specify the index number that UA generated for the dimension. Refer to your dimension(s) to locate the custom dimension number for VWO.
- From the dashboard, select the test you want to integrate.
- In the test settings section, select Settings > Others.
- Under Integrate with Third-Party Products, select the Universal Analytics check box.
- Custom Dimension: Select the custom dimension you have defined for VWO in your UA implementation. ATTENTION We recommend using different custom dimensions for each running test. This is because the scope of the custom dimension is “User” and if a single custom dimension is used, the information of the last test that the user became a part of will overwrite the previously pushed information.
- Account Prefix: If you are using more than one UA account, you can enter Account Prefix you want to integrate with VWO. Please leave the field empty if you are using a single account. ATTENTION Please note that Account prefix is not the same as your UA profile ID. Account prefix indicates the UA account where you want to push test data of a test. The UA dimension is unique for each running test. Please ensure that there is no duplication in the custom dimensions you used.
- Custom Dimension: Select the custom dimension you have defined for VWO in your UA implementation.
Creating a Custom Report
- Sign in to your UA account and then click the Reporting tab and select Add Segment from the Audience Overview section.
- To create a custom report for the VWO tests you integrated with UA, select New Segment.
- Select Conditions under Advanced.
- To view the custom report for a test, define a segment in UA. For example, Test5 is the custom dimension name followed by the campaign ID and variation details.PRO-TIP To view a consolidated report of a test (including all the variations and control), specify the Test ID. To view the data corresponding to any one of the variation, just select from the drop-down.