Integrating Visual Website Optimizer (VWO) with Google Universal Analytics (UA) allows you to view and analyze VWO campaign data along with the traffic data that UA collects from your website. If you use UA to monitor your website traffic, this integration allows you to view VWO’s data in UA for each variation and also filter data based on the metrics defined in UA.
Create a UA Custom Dimension for VWO campaigns
To configure the integration, you must first create a UA custom dimension. You will create the custom dimension for your VWO campaign using GA dashboard and specify a name for the dimension.
- Click Admin from the menu bar and select the appropriate account and a property.
- Under Property, click Custom Definitions, and then Custom Dimensions.
- Click New Custom Dimension
- In the New Custom Dimension window, add the following details:
- Name: Enter a unique name for the dimension to avoid any confusions with other dimensions you may have created. Please note that you must create a separate dimension for each running campaign you want to integrate with UA. The dimension you create is used to identify and push VWO data into the corresponding dimension in UA. For example, VWO Test Id 1.
- Scope: Select the User option from the drop-down. Scope determines which hits will be associated with the custom dimension value. Click here to know more about scope.
- Active: Enable this box to start collecting data and see the dimension in your reports right away.
- Click Create. You have now created the custom dimensions in UA.
Enable the UA integration option in VWO dashboard
While enabling the integration option, VWO will prompt you for the custom dimension number. Here you must specify the index number that UA generated for the dimension. Refer to the following screenshot to locate the custom dimension number for a VWO campaign.
To enable the integration option in VWO, follow these steps:
- From the navigation bar, select the campaign you want to create.
- Select Settings > Others in the campaign settings section.
- Under Integrate with Third-Party Products, select the Universal Analytics option.
- Custom Dimensions: Select the custom dimension you have defined for VWO in your UA implementation.
- Account Prefix: If you are using more than one UA account, you can enter Account Prefix you want integrate with VWO. Please leave the field empty if you are using a single account.
Create a custom report
- Log into your UA account and click Reporting tab. The User Overview page displays.
- Select Add Segment to create a custom report for the VWO campaigns you have integrated with UA.
- Select New Segment as displayed in the following screenshot:
- Select Conditions as displayed in the following screenshot:
- To view custom report for a campaign , define a segment in UA as displayed in the following screenshot:
In this example, VWO is the custom dimension name, CampID is the campaign ID (155 in our example), and VarName is the variation displayed to the visitor (Variation-1 in our example).