I’m trying to run the VWO test on my website, but it gives me the warning “Tracking code not installed.”
This warning is just a reminder that you should verify that VWO SmartCode is present across all pages. Manually visit the test pages where you have installed the code snippet and allow it to execute on each page and establish connection to VWO servers.
Possible reasons for the warning being shown
- When a visitor lands on a page that has the VWO SmartCode installed, the code pings the VWO server about the page visit. The code checker then updates the VWO application based on the message received from the test page. When no visitor has landed on the page where the code is installed, VWO fails to update the code checker and the ‘Code not installed’ message is displayed.
- Even when visitors have landed on the test page where the code is installed, the message is not updated real-time in VWO and it could take a few minutes to reflect on the VWO application.
- VWO code checker cannot verify the code on every webpage in a URL pattern or group URLs (regular expressions, URL starts with, URL ends with, and other options). You will have to manually verify VWO code on every pages when installing the code in group URLs.
- The page where you have installed the code is behind a login page.
- Authorization or CURL is blocked and the page can not be accessed directly.
- Verify that you have installed the smart code on your website pages correctly. Click here to know how to add VWO smart code to your website pages.
- Visit the page on which the code is installed and simultaneously refresh VWO app. Sometimes the message automatically updates after refreshing.
- Use preview debugger to verify correct code.
- Navigate to the test page in VWO by click on the test you created.
- On the Preview page, select Open in a New Window option under Advanced options.
- In the test preview page that opens, look for the preview debugger pane. You can be sure that the code is installed if you can view the preview debugger.
- Do not worry about the ‘Code not installed’ message if you are certain that the code is present on the page. The message will not impact the reporting for the test. VWO reporting is not associated with the code checker functionality. The reports section will capture all data despite the message saying that the code is not installed on the page.