Using the VWO segmentation feature, you can group your website visitors into segments, based on the common traits the visitors share. For example, you can segment users based on the device they use to access the website, the referral site that directs them to your page, their geographical location, and so on.
Using VWO Segment Gallery, you can select predefined segments and target a specific group of visitors through your test or variations. VWO looks for the following parameters in the visitor information to identify whether a visitor belongs to any predefined segment.
- Direct: Direct traffic comprises of the visitors who lands directly on the test page by either typing the test page’s URL in their browser or reaching via browser bookmarks. Also, document.referrer is empty in visitor information.
- Referral: Referral traffic comprises of the visitors who land on the test page through referral websites, and in this case, document.referrer has a value.
- Social traffic: It comprises of the visitors who come from social media platforms like Facebook, Quora, Reddit, Imgur, Disqus, 9gag, Tumblr, Google Plus, Stumbleupon, Twitter, Linkedin, Technorati, Digg, Hootsuite, Myspace, Tinyurl, Youtube, Flickr, Pinterest, and so on.
- Mobile, Desktop, Tablet: They are classified based on their UA (User Agent) strings.
- New Visitors: A new visitor is someone who has never been part of any test on the domain before. This segment checks for the _vis_opt_s cookie and if it is not present in visitor’s browser, the visitor is categorized as a new visitor.
- Returning: A returning visitor is someone who has been part of at least one test on the domain before. This segment checks for the _vis_opt_s cookie and if it is present in visitor’s browser, the visitor is categorized as a returning visitor.
- Non-paid search traffic: This refers to the organic traffic from a search medium but does not contain utm_medium query parameters such as cpc, ppc, cpa, cpm, cpv, and cpp.
- Paid Traffic Search: This type contains utm_medium query parameter such as cpc, ppc, cpa, cpm, cpv, cpp
- Search traffic: This refers to the organic traffic by checking the referrer for search engines.
- Email Traffic: This type contains utm_medium=email as the query parameter.