Using VWO, you can create different visitor segments to target your tests. This group of visitors is called visitor segments. When you target a visitor segment in a test, only visitors who meet the conditions set for the segment are included in the test. You can create visitor segments based on specific criteria such as devices used to access the site, hour of the day, and other user behaviors.
To define visitor segments, select the option while setting up your test. To target a visitor segment, you can either select one from Segment Gallery or create a custom segment.
Using Segment Gallery
Segment Gallery contains the default VWO segments that you can use for your tests.
- iPhone/Phone Users: Predefine segment to target visitors using iPhone. (If you are testing an Android app, the segment title will change to Phone Users.)
- iPad/Tablet Users: Segment for targeting visitors using iPad to access your mobile app. (If you are testing an Android app, the segment title will change to Tablet Users.)
- New Users: Users who have never been part of any VWO test on your account.
- Returning Users: Users who have been part of other tests, but not part of the mobile app test.
Creating a Custom Visitor Segment
Under the segmentation option, select Custom Segment, and then click Add Condition to create a new custom segment.
- Select a condition for the segment you want to create. You can select any condition from the following options:
- Custom Variable: Add a custom variable you have added to your VWO account.
- App Version: Define a visitor segment based on the app version they access.
- iOS/Android version: Define a visitor segment based on the iOS/Android version installed on their devices.
- Day of Week: Define a segment for visitors accessing your mobile app on specific days of the week.
- Hour of Day: Define a segment for visitors accessing your mobile app on specific hours of the day.
- Select a matching value for the defined condition. For example, enter the custom variables details, app version, or day or hour of the week.
- Click Add Condition to combine multiple conditions, using the AND and OR operators. Use parentheses to combine multiple conditions for a segment. You can preview your segment on the right panel of the dashboard.